Friday, July 24, 2009

Aesthetic license

I'm going to change the course of this project. Up until now, I've been talking about a language which is to be used as a tool to extend the benefits of Latin and Greek to the mass population. This has left me feeling somewhat constrained from making decisions that are simply for aesthetic purposes.

But I want to be able to use the language for my own enjoyment and my study of Latin and Greek, and as such, I'll deviate from making decisions based on what may be logical or simple. In the last post, I talked about a way to make adjectives plural, and here, I'd like to complicate the derivation of certain Greek-derived neuter words.

Following the scheme previously discussed, Greek 3rd declension neuter nouns would come into Vulgare as the following: onomate, hydrate, haemate, stigmate, stomate. Yet in Greek, the nominative and accusative are the same - the shortened forms onoma, hydra, haema, stigma, and stoma. It's these shortened forms that I would like to incorporate into Vulgare over the form derived from the genitive.

No comments: