Sunday, April 17, 2011

Update

I've disregarded this block for two years, but not my thoughts on the language. Those thoughts are slowly evolving in the tug-of-war between the goals of the language. But what exactly are those goals?

Is the language supposed to be simple and easy of use?
I feel the best way to do this is by limiting the grammar to a minimum. But that may make it a lot harder to approach classical Latin and Greek, which both have considerable grammar rules.

Is the language supposed to serve as a tool to "get by" in classical Latin and Greek?
There'll be a large vocabulary, but the multitudes of homonyms and synonyms can be dizzying.
There may be the need for some basic grammar, but that makes the language more difficult to understand and learn.
Words must have forms that are rigidly held to, even though they may sound bad to me. Why should we have to pronounce the last syllable of words that end in -e?

Can I modify the language to live up to my own aesthetic pleasures?
What if I make some letters silent when pronounced. What about shortening words by not pronouncing the last -e in words. What about not pronouncing the last -t in words like et or aut or ut. What about not pronouncing the final -te such that words like somate or veritate would be pronounced like soma or verita?



So here's where I stand right now.
I like having a large vocabulary, and I think the homonyms and synonyms that arise from the derivational words lead to beautiful complexities.
I'm beginning to see even simple grammar requirements, such as 1) conjugation of verbs, 2) having adjectives agree in gender or number, or 3) having nominative noun forms, can be a major hold up. I would rather do away with those requirements. But I want to give people the option to do simple changes if completely regular.
I'll hold to the classical pronunciation of words, but will have regular exception rules, such as not pronouncing the final -e sound, not ending a word on a -t sound. Thus the written form will be maintained, while the spoken form will be a little different, which is okay, because no one will be speaking the language anyway :D

No comments: